This spinach stuffed chicken is not only one of the creamiest and juiciest chicken dishes you’ll likely ever make, but it’s super easy to pull together.
The default recipe serves one.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large handful spinach
- 2 tbsp low fat cream cheese
- 1 chicken breast – around 120g / 4.2oz
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Heat half the olive oil over medium-high heat in a frying pan or skillet. Add the onion and fry for around 4-5 minutes until softened, stirring often. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the spinach to the pan and use tongs to regularly turn it over until wilted down.
- Add the cream cheese to the pan and remove from the heat. Season the mixture well and then stir together until the spinach and onion are bound with the cheese.
- Place the chicken breast on a chopping board and place a hand, or flat spatula, on top. Use a serrated knife to very carefully cut into the chicken along the length of the fatter side. Cut so you have 1-2cm left on the side so you can open it out but it isn’t cut into two halves.
- Place the spinach mixture into the middle of the cut chicken breast and then close and pat gently to fix it together. You can also insert a toothpick into the open side to help keep it together.
- Pour the remaining olive oil in a clean frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken breast and cook for around 4 minutes before carefully turning it over and searing for a further 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken breast into a baking dish and place in the oven for around 15 minutes to finish cooking.
- You can alternatively pan fry the chicken on each side before stuffing it which may be helpful if your breast is fairly small as it will make it sturdier. Just be careful of the hot exterior when stuffing!
- Frozen spinach works as well as fresh.
- For best results eat as soon as cooked, but leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the oven.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob / Oven
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Protein: 38g
Keywords: chicken, healthy, dinner, easy, cheese, spinach