A healthy and fresh wild rice salad that combines nutty rice with crisp ingredients, all bound in a coconut lime dressing. Perfect as a side dish!
The default recipe serves one as a very generous portion.
For the salad:
- 65g / 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 6–8 toasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 50g / 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 small cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- small handful rocket/argula
For the dressing:
- 1 tsp coconut oil (warm the bottle under some warm water if it has solidified)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- few sprigs of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Firstly, cook the rice. Rinse well in cold water and then add to a pan. Add triple the volume of water (1 cup water for every 1/3 cup rice) and bring to the boil. Once the rice is boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for around 45 minutes. The cooked texture should be chewy and you will see that some of the grains have burst open.
- While the rice is cooking make the dressing. Combine all ingredients into a jar, seal with a lid and shake well. Alternatively, whisk well in a bowl.
- Toast the cashew nuts in a small dry frying pan until lightly golden.
- Drain the rice when cooked and add to a large bowl. Add the pepper/capsicum, cucumber, red onion, pomegranate seeds and rocket/arugula.
- Pour over the dressing and toss everything together and transfer to a plate or platter. Scatter the cashew nuts over the top.
- You can use precooked wild rice to speed up the cooking time
- If you want to make this in advance then it can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. I recommend not adding the rocket/arugula and dressing until you are about to serve the dish. The cucumber will be fresher if you avoid adding this until you are going to eat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Hob / Stove
- Cuisine: Rice
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 460
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 73g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: salad, rice, healthy, pomegranate, cashews, side dish, lunch, starter, vegetarian, vegan