I had bought myself some good old English Muffins the other week to make this fantastic Healthy Breakfast Stack. However they only came in a pack of 5 and there was no way I was going to manage to eat 5 muffins on my own before they expired only a few days later. Therefore I have a few waiting in my freezer. On another note, trying to find English muffins in Dubai is NOT EASY. Turns out that Waitrose seems to be the only place selling them. I don’t know why I didn’t think of trying the one British supermarket chain first when looking for them, but I can now safely tell you that none of the others stock them.
To be honest, I hardly call this a recipe – since it is just cooking and plating ingredients – it is super super simple. The result though is beautiful and a truly brilliant breakfast or brunch option. I’d happily have this for lunch, and dinner to be honest.
If you aren’t a fan oF poaching eggs you could easily have a medium boiled egg instead. It would be just as good. You could have it with scrambled eggs as well if you prefer… Hmm now I’m getting hungry again!
Muffins freeze well – so this can be whipped up quickly. I made this myself with a muffins that had been frozen – they just need to defrost enough to be able to slice in half and then the toaster will do the rest, so planning ahead is minimal (perhaps allocate 30-40 minutes defrost time). Therefore it’s the ideal meal for one.
I don’t butter the muffins for this – I don’t think there is any great need to since the ingredients are fairly moist.
Products that work well for this recipe
Avocado Multi Tool
Perfectly Poached Egg Set
Avocado & Poached Egg MuffinsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
These Avocado & Poached Egg Muffins are a super breakfast or brunch treat. Packed with heart healthy oils from and protein – a great start to any day. Make sure you serve your yolk extra runny
1 english muffin
1/2 large avocado
2 medium eggs
5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
parsley to serve (optional)
- Bring a medium pan of water to the boil and gently poach your eggs for around 3 minutes.
- Cut the muffin in half and toast (a standard toaster works fine)
- Remove the stone from the advocado and mash in a bowl using the back of a fork.
- Plate the dish – first place the toasted muffin, top with the mashed avocado and then place a poached egg on top of each half. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if using. Place the halved cherry tomatoes on the side of the plate.
- Serve & enjoy!
- I don’t feel that the muffin needs to be buttered for this recipe – since it saves calories and the avocado and runny yolk adds enough flavour and moisture to the muffin. However feel free to do so if you like – just bear in mind that it will add extra calories.