I am a self confessed ice cream lover. This definitely started when I was a child, and was the one dessert I was always in the mood for. I also believe that one of the things that led me down this road to ice cream addiction was because of a certain 1980’s sauce. Ah, Ice Magic, you have a lot to answer for… It was this amazing hardening ice cream sauce – pour it over and it would make this amazing hard shell of chocolate. I believe in the US it was called Magic Shell.
Anyone else reading this who is a child of the 80s? Did you used to eat this? It’s one of those things that I fondly think back on from time to time. I’m sure that there are other varieties of hardening ice cream sauce available now. I doubt there are any here in Dubai. Therefore I had to have a shot at making my own.
The beauty of this recipe – it’s SOOOO simple. You know how coconut oil goes hard when it’s cold – well, that’s the secret to this recipe. Simply mix coconut oil with chocolate of your choice and voila!
The sauce definitely has a hue of coconut to it, but in a way I actually quite like that. As you can see from the picture, I made this with dairy milk. You could easily substitute for other chocolate flavours – dark chocolate, chocolate orange… The are a lot of different recipes you could try. In fact, chocolate orange, I need to try that!!
Once the sauce is made you are best keeping covered in a cupboard. If you store it in the fridge it will go rock hard and you’ll need to keep heating it which I’m sure will affect the consistency after a couple of times.
Are you a fellow chocolate / ice cream lover? Definitely check out this chocolate mug cake which goes beautifully with ice cream.
Products that work well for this recipe
Ice Cream Topping Set
Play Your Way Ice Cream Maker
Joseph Joseh Dimple Ice Cream Scoop
Hardening Ice Cream Sauce (Ice Magic)Course: DessertCuisine: Ice CreamDifficulty: Easy
The ultimate hardening ice cream sauce – if you were a fan of Ice Magic or Magic Shell then this recipe is for you! Takes only 5 minutes to make and an essential topping for any ice cream lover.
120g dairy milk
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Place a glass or metal bowl so it’s sitting on top of the pan.
- Add the dairy milk to the bowl and melt. Once it is liquified add the coconut oil and stir it all together well. Remove from the heat.
- Once the sauce has cooled you can start to use it – drizzle over ice cream and watch the magic happen!
- The number of servings here really depends on how much sauce you use on your ice cream… So please take this as indicative. I think these are fairly generous portions…
- Feel free to use an alternative type of chocolate than Dairy Milk… As amazing as it is!
- Calorie count does not include ice cream (sorry!)