Looking for a soft alternative to your favourite cocktail? While a virgin pornstar may seem very logical, this virgin pornstar martini absolutely is! Whether you’re avoiding alcohol, the designated driver or pregnant, this pornstar martini mocktail is a delicious tipple without any of the hangovers.
If you’ve landed on a mocktail recipe by accident, you can check out my original alcoholic pornstar martini recipe here.
What is it?
The porn star martini was born in London in 1999. Its creator, Douglas Ankrah, wanted to create a drink that oozed confidence, sexiness and playfulness. The pornstar martini does just that. It’s packed with sweet flavours of passionfruit and vanilla which is cut by dry strong vodka. You might also see it called a passionfruit martini. As an added extravagance it is typically served with a shot of champagne on the side.
This mocktail uses lime instead of alcohol, as the acidity cuts through the sweet juices and adds complexity to the flavour. It also adds apple juice for extra sweet crispness.
As an authentic substitution to the original recipe, you can add a sidecar of dry, non-alcoholic sparkling wine or white grape juice.
Can I make a batch of it in advance?
The great thing with this mocktail is that you can absolutely make a batch of it in advance and drink it throughout the night. It will keep for up to a day in the fridge. A few tips on this:
- Combine and mix only the syrup, lime juice, apple juice and vanilla essence but not the passionfruit seeds, so the seeds don’t sink to the bottom of your jug.
- Don’t use ice to mix the drink or leave it in a jug with ice, which will dilute the flavours. You can keep it in the fridge so it’s cold when you serve, but I also recommend shaking it with ice when you are ready to drink it.
- Rather than simply pouring the drink each time, shake it as you would when making it from fresh to really bring all the flavours together. Add a few cubes of ice and the passionfruit seeds when you come to shake and strain before serving.
- Keep a bowl of passion fruits, uncut, on hand and slice for each drink, to keep them super fresh.
How do you drink it?
The drink should be served in a martini glass and sipped. It’s not usually served with a straw and the drink is strained before serving so there is no ice in the glass.
The shot of sparkling grape juice is meant to add as a palette cleanser. Since the drink is very fruity, having a dry sparkling juice offsets the sweetness. However, many people choose to pour it into the cocktail or drink it all at once at the beginning or end of the drink. Do what best pleases you!
You can also skip the side shot altogether if you don’t have an appropriate alcohol-free substitution for sparkling wine or champagne.
What are the ingredients?
For a pornstar martini mocktail you need a few simple ingredients:
- Lime juice, freshly squeezed or bottled (just make sure it’s only lime juice, with no added sugar)
- Vanilla essence
- Apple juice
- Passionfruit syrup – you can buy this off amazon If you can’t find it in your local supermarket.
- Fresh passionfruit
How do you make it?
To make this great cocktail simply:
- Cut the passionfruit into two through the middle and scoop the seeds out from one half.
- Place the seeds and all the other ingredients in a cocktail shaker along with a few cubes of ice.
- Shake really well and then strain into a martini glass.
- Place the unused half of the passionfruit onto the top of the drink, cut side up.
Instead of the passionfruit syrup, you can use passionfruit juice. However, increase the amount and reduce the amount of apple juice as it is weaker than the syrup.
You’ll also need a cocktail shaker for this drink, but if you don’t have one then no problem. You can use a mason jar with a lid fitted, a thermos flask or a reusable coffee mug.
Looking for more great mocktail/soft drink recipes? Try:
- Frozen strawberry daiquiri mocktail
- Cucumber and mint cooler
- Homemade pink lemonade
- Lemon Earl Grey iced tea
Products that work well for this recipe:
Bamboo Bartender & Cocktail Kit
Set of 4 Martini Glasses
Swan Cocktail Picks
Looking for a soft alternative to your favourite cocktail? Look no further than this pornstar martini mocktail. It’s every bit as delicious as the original!
The default recipe makes one mocktail.
- 1 individual fresh passionfruit
- 30ml / 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- 75ml / 5 tbsp apple juice
- 30ml / 2 tbsp passionfruit syrup – such as this one on Amazon (see note 1)
- Firstly, cut the passionfruit in half and scoop the seeds from one half into a cocktail shaker (see note 2).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the shaker, along with a few cubes of ice. Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Place the unused half the passionfruit on top of the drink, cut side up, so it floats on top.
- You can also use passionfruit juice, but as it’s not as strong or concentrated use 75ml juice and just 30ml of the apple juice in this case.
- No cocktail shaker? No problem. Use a jar with a lid, such as a mason jar. Or you can also use a thermos or a reusable coffee mug with a lid. You can use a tea strainer or a thin funnel to strain the mocktail.
- If you want to make a batch of this to serve throughout the night then combine everything apart from the passionfruit in a jug. When you come to serve each drink cut the passionfruit, add half the seeds and a portion of the drink mixture to a shaker with ice, and shake before serving with the remaining passionfruit half on top.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 185
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: mocktail, alcohol-free, drink, passionfruit