This salad is quick and easy – perfect for a summer BBQ or as a side dish with some grilled fish or chicken. This simple 3 bean salad is great to make a couple of days ahead, and you can even freeze it. Brilliant if you don’t want to have a load of leftover beans you don’t know what to do with.
What are the ingredients?
This recipe includes kidney beans, aduki beans and black-eyed beans. All combined with finely diced red onion and yellow pepper for added dimension to the texture and a pop of colour.
The salad is dressed in a vinaigrette of red wine vinegar, olive oil, basil and lemon juice. Super fresh and delicious!
Is three-bean salad healthy
This salad is healthy, although beans are quite heavy on calories and carbs. They are, however, a great source of protein, iron and fibre so don’t be put off! If you want to make it a little lighter then you could replace one of the canned bean varieties with some freshly steamed green beans.
Does it need to be refrigerated?
If you aren’t going to eat this salad straight away then yes, store it in the refrigerator in a sealed bowl or container and eat within 3 days. For best results don’t add the dressing until you are ready to serve (and don’t add the basil to the dressing until you are going to eat either).
Can you freeze it?
The great news is that you can absolutely freeze this salad. It will last for 1-2 months in the freezer. Store in a container (something that won’t get knocked or squash the beans before they have fully frozen) and press some clingfilm over the top of the beans before placing the lid. Don’t dress the salad until you have thawed and are about to eat though or it will defrost with quite a soggy texture.
Products that work great for this recipe
Steel Herb Chopper
GoEat Salad Box
A delicious and simple 3 bean salad combining hearty beans with a zesty vinaigrette dressing. Perfect for a BBQ or side dish.
The standard recipe provides 4 sizable portions (around 1 cup each).
- 400g tin kidney beans (240g / 8.5oz drained weight)
- 400g tin cannellini beans (240g / 8.5oz drained weight)
- 400g tin aduki beans (240g / 8.5oz drained weight)
- 1 yellow pepper, finely diced (around 250 g)
- 1 red onion, finely diced (around 75 g)
- 20 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice only
1. Rinse and drain all the kidney beans.
2. Mix together the beans with the onions and pepper.
2. Mix together all the dressing ingredients and then stir in the basil leaves. Add the dressing to the salad and gently stir everything through.
- If you are planning on not serving immediately or freezing then don’t dress until you are ready to eat.
- Feel free to substitute any of the beans for another tinned variety – or even sweetcorn. You can also use steamed or blanched green beans if you want a lighter option.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Salad
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 286
- Fat: 286g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: salad, beans, lunch, bbq, side dish